STAR: What the Best College Students Do, with Dr. Ken Bain
|Combining academic research on learning and motivation with insights drawn from interviews with people who have won Nobel Prizes, Emmys, fame, or the admiration of people in their field, Dr. Ken Bain identifies the key attitudes that distinguishes the best college students from their peers. These individuals started out with the belief that intelligence and ability are expandable, not fixed. This led them to make connections across disciplines, to develop a “meta-cognitive” understanding of their own ways of thinking, and to find ways to negotiate ill-structured problems rather than simply looking for right answers. Intrinsically motivated by their own sense of purpose, they were not demoralized by failure nor overly impressed with conventional notions of success. These movers and shakers didn’t achieve success by making success their goal. For them, it was a byproduct of following their intellectual curiosity, solving useful problems, and taking risks in order to learn and grow.
Traveling the country to research what the best college students do, Dr. Ken Bain identifies the key attitudes distinguishing the best college students from their peers. In this module, Dr. Bain discusses the following:
The Best Students
Differences for Today’s Students
“If you’ve never failed, you’ve never tried anything new” Albert Einstein. In this module, Dr. Ken Bain explores key elements for what the best college students do, including:
Deep vs. Strategic Learners
“This is a study of creative people and how they got to be that way” Dr. Ken Bain. In this module, Dr. Ken Bain addresses:
Making Every Student Great
What the Best College Students Do
ACC Faculty and Staff are able to access online workshops on a wide smorgasbord of STARLINK trainings.
1. Go to the STARLINK Homepage - http://starlinktraining.org/
2. On the menu at the top, you will see a dropdown named Get Started, click it.
3. On the dropdown you will see a choice of First Time User, that is where you will want to register your account for the first time. Make sure to use your @austincc.edu email address.
4. Login and click the Members Area at the top right of the screen.
5. Choose “What the Best College Students Do, with Dr. Ken Bain”
7. To complete the 5 hour long course scroll to the bottom and click the Launch Course button. A certificate of completion can be printed once the entire training course is completed. Please note this certificate is not available if you choose to watch the video version only! Send a screenshot or a copy of the certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org to be awarded credit.