01/14/2013 - 05/12/2013
MW 09:00 - 10:20
M T W Th
8:00AM - 9:00AM
12:30PM - 1:30 PM
The purpose of the courseis to familiarize students with the basic theories of counseling and psychotherapy. We will cover the major theories of pesoanlity from Freud, Adler, Juing and Rogers, and look closely at how those theories apply to the practice of couseling.
We will also discuss the behaviorists and cognitive behaviorists. The course will cover family therapy and finally talk about therapy and diversity encluding gender issues.
There will be three exams and two papers as well as writing book reports about the two additional books we will be reading.
Theories and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy
Gerald Corey, 8th edition
Mans Search For Meaning
C hoice Therapy
We will discuss the nature of each and every theory in the book, giving case examples of each.
We are starting with Freud, Adler, Farnkl, and Rogers.
In the middle of the semester we will discuss Perls, Skinner, and Ellis.
At the end of the term we will discuss gender and diversity issues as well as ethical principles that apply to cousneling and psychotherapy.
Student Learning Outcomes/Learning Objectives
1. Show knowledge of the major counseling theories
2. Select from the major approaches, a comfortable counseling style for yourself.
3. Shwo a better understanding of our own personality.
4. Feel more comfortable in situations where we are asked to listen.
5. Learn how to write a critical and self reflective paper.