08/22/2011 - 12/11/2011
F 12:00 - 14:50
M T W Th
8:10 - 9:10
1:20 - 3:20
8 - 12
2:40 - 4;40
A course designed to teach fundamentals of team play (e.g., volleyball, basketball, soccer, baseball, football), comparison of systems, strategy, training and conditioning, selection of individuals for positions, responsibilities of the coach and public relations.
Addition course description information: Material in this class will cover the nature & philosophy of coaching, role models, preparation, administration, relationship between the coach & the athlete, management, and support.
This lecture class will include lecture, handouts, visual materials, as well as practical exercises/papers.
Philosophy of Coaching 10% - 120 points
Budgeting and Purchasing 15% - 180 points
Selection Procedures 10% - 120 points
Season Planning Record 15% - 180 points
Overall Notebook Preparation10% - 120 points
Exam 1 20% - 240 points
Exam 2 20% - 240 points
Total Points 100% - 1200 points
Successful Coaching; Rainer; 2004; Human Kinetics;
Notebook –very important. All assignments, handouts and notes are to be kept in this notebook.
Part I Strategic Position of the Coach
- What is coaching? (Nature of Coaching)
- Philosophy of Coaching
- Coaching Role Models
- Professional Preparation
Part II Administration
- Athletic Financing and Budgeting
- Purchasing Criteria and Procedure
- Schedule Planning
- Public Relations
- Professional Legal Aspects
Part III The Coach and the Athlete
- Health and Safety of the Athlete
- Biological Considerations
- Selecting the Athlete
- Teaching Skills Development
- Developing Behavior Patterns
- Training Standards, Motivation, Sportsmanship
Part IV Personal Management
- Staff Planning
- Support Personnel
- Public Relations
- News and the Media
Student Learning Outcomes/Learning Objectives
SCANS: The following SCANS competencies are addressed in this course.
- Resources: Selects relevant, goal-related activities, allocates time to activities, and understands, prepares and follows schedule.
- Information: Acquires and Evaluates Information,Organizes and Maintains Information
- Systems: Understands Systems; Monitors and Corrects Performance
- Basic Skills: Reading, Writing, Listening, Arithmetic
- Thinking Skills: Decision making, Problem solving, Knowing how to learn, Reasoning
- Personal Qualities: Responsibility, Sociability, Self Management, Integrity
- To learn the rules, fundamentals, skills and strategies of coaching.
- To learn how to correctly execute required skills and techniques of coaching.
- To understand how Kinesiology relates to a healthy individual lifestyle.