08/23/2010 - 12/12/2010
M 19:20 - 22:00
1;30PM - 4:00PM
6:30PM - 7:30PM
2:00PM - 4:00PM
11:30AM - 12:30PM
RGC ARC ARC5
3:00PM - 4:30PM
RGC ARC ARC5
Swimming I: Beginning swimming skills are taught including the American crawl, backstroke, breaststroke and sidestroke. Correct breathing skills are emphasized. Previous swimming experience and/or previous knowledge of basic skills not required.
This class is an activity and participation course
45% attendance (45 points)-showing up to class
45% participation (45 points)-fully participating in class activities to the best of your ability. Not participating in class results in the loss of 1 point.
10% written test(s) (10 points)-each question will be worth 1 point
Bilateral Breathing for freestyle (breathing equally on both sides) water adjustment, back front, prone float (front gliding float), treading water
Intro to snorkeling (All to the best of your ability)
Student Learning Outcomes/Learning Objectives
SCANS: The following SCANS competencies are addressed in this course.
- Resources: Selects relevant, goal-related activities, allocates time to activities, and understands, prepares and follows schedule.
- Interpersonal: Works cooperatively with others
- Information: Acquires and Evaluates Information,Organizes and Maintains Information
- Systems: Understands Systems; Monitors and Corrects Performance
- Basic Skills: Reading, Writing, Listening
- Thinking Skills: Decision making, Problem solving, Knowing how to learn, Reasoning
- Personal Qualities: Responsibility, Sociability, Self Management, Integrity
We will swim every class period unless there is inclement weather (lightning &/or thunder) Please call the pool to check. (for AML classes)
You will not be compared to anyone else in the class. Everyone enters the class with different skill and ability levels. Please be patient with yourself when acquiring new skills. Persistence is the key to mastering swimming skills.
1. To learn the rules, fundamentals, skills and benefits of swimming.
2. To learn how to correctly execute required skills and techniques as well as to use the equipment/facilities safely.
3. To understand how Kinesiology relates to a healthy individual lifestyle.